Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What does it take to become a trail host?​

To become a trail host you must​ first complete and sign the Volunteer form which can be acquired by contacting, Mike, the Off-Highway Vehicle Volunteer Specialist. Complete the required Trail Host Training course and inform your volunteer coordinator a day before you host a trail!

What is the time commitment requirement to be a trail host?​

A minimum of 8 hours per year​.

Can I be a trail host in a National Park?​​

No, we do not currently collaborate ​with the National Parks.

We are partnered with the following agencies: United States Forest Service (USFS), Bureau of Land Management (BLM), Utah Division of Parks and Recreation (DPR), School and Institutional Trust Lands Administrations (SITLA), City and Country Trailheads and Division of Wildlife Resources. 

When I host, can I bring a family member or friend?​

Yes, however, only the certified ​trail host will receive credit for hosting. The non-host is responsible for their own safety, and not covered under the volunteer contract. 

How old do you have to be to become a trail host?

You must be 18 years or older to become a trail host. ​

What is the sign up cost to become a trail host?​​

There is no cost associated with becoming a trail host. 

Are trail hosts assigned certain areas, or can they choose where to host?

While specific areas may be assigned, trail hosts can appeal to where they would like to host within the state boundaries.​ Trail hosting is a state wide program, however it is recommended that you choose a specific area.

If an accident occurs while hosting, and the host becomes injured, are they covered by workman’s comp and who do I report it to?

When you sign the Utah Department of Natural Resources Agreement for Voluntary Services, you are agreeing that if you are injured or involved in an accident while providing volunteer services to the Department, Worker’s Compensation Fund will only pay the actual and necessary medical expenses. You incur in the treatment of an injury, and that this is the only relief you may seek or receive from the Department or State of Utah for such injuries. Other expenses such as lost work time, equipment, clothing, etc., will not be covered by insurance.

 You can find information regarding the steps to take when reporting an OHV accident by clicking here.

Where should trail host reports be turned in?

Trail host reports can be submitted to the Google Form which can be found here.

How long does a trail host certification last?

Trail host certifications last one year. A re-certification email will be sent out to remind hosts to renew their certification, as well as a re-certification quiz and volunteer addendum. It is not required to take the training course again.

What are some Basic OHV Laws and Safety Tips?

Click here for some basic OHV laws and here for safety tips.

What are the OHV Laws, Rules and Requirements?

Click here to read more about the OHV definitions as well as Street Legal OHV requirements.

I’m worried about my personal safety, what are some helpful tips?

Personal safety is our top priority. There are many challenges when interacting with the public, click here for some measures you can take for a safe day hosting the trail or trailhead.   ​

What is the cost of In-State Registration and Decal Placement?

If you are a Utah resident, you can obtain your OHV registration from the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles. Your OHV registration fees go directly back into the sport. Owners of OHVs used only for agricultural purposes may apply for an “implement of husbandry” sticker instead of registration decals. However, if the machine is used for recreation on public lands or roads, it must also be registered for that purpose.

The $18.00 registration breakdown is as follows:

• $8.50 is dedicated to the improvement of summer and winter OHV opportunities

• $2.00 is used for safety and responsible riding education\

• $4.00 goes to the Division of Motor Vehicles 

• $1.50 to school trust lands

• $1.00 goes to electronic transaction fees 

• $1.00 goes to the Utah Highway Patrol Aero Bureau

Registration decals must be mounted in a visible location as follows:

Motorcycles – on the left fork.

Snowmobiles – on the left side of the hood, pan or tunnel

All other off OHVs – on the rear of the vehicle

Register your OHV with the Department of Motor Vehicles at:

What is the cost of Non-Resident OHV Registration?

This out-of-state permit costs $30 and is good for 12 months from the time of purchase. If you order the permit online, there is an additional $5 charge. You can purchase them here. If you’d rather pick one up in person, please visit one of our vendors to purchase one face-to-face.​

Remember to bring:

• Proof of residency: driver’s license or other state issued identification.

• Proof of ownership: title or current registration or bill of sale.

Owners of ATVs, off-highway motorcycles or snowmobiles, brought into Utah by non-residents, must obtain a non-resident permit for their machine. Some states offer reciprocity, meaning there is a mutual agreement between states not to charge non-residents fees. Click the status of the different states here.

What should I do if I meet a difficult rider? 

If you meet a difficult rider and are unsure how to proceed click here.​

I’m unsure of the proper hand signals, what are they?

 The proper hand signals and other potential questions regarding riding procedures can be found here.​

Who are you partnered with?

You can find a list of the Clubs & Organizations we are partnered with at:

Do you have a checklist of items we should have on us when we trail host? 

 You can find checklists for first aid kits, safety gear, etc. here.